Skins :: A Teenage Enigma

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a non-canon roleplay based off of the UK-based TV show, Skins, set in Chicago.

The Unofficial Guide to Character Making

Mason Vaughan
    Mason Vaughan
    Admin
    Sergeant Sarcasm

The Unofficial Guide to Character Making Empty The Unofficial Guide to Character Making

Post by Mason Vaughan Thu Jun 28, 2012 1:13 pm

So, I’ve been on RP forums for a few years now, and I’ve decided that I should bequeath my knowledge to you. I’ve determined that the biggest flaw in character making is clichés. Sadly, they’re a necessary evil, because an RP just plain sucks without clichés. Bottom line is, I’m here to help you all with your character creation endeavors.

Firstly, let’s start off with the bare basics: the name. Okay, I don’t care just how ridiculously mental your parents were, there is no way your name is Ultramegashadowdeathbringer. Be realistic here. Any conventional or unusual names are fine, but keep it reasonable. That’s all we ask.

Age: Well, this is a pretty self-explanatory bit. Skins portrays kids in their late teens as central characters, so why not make your character around that age? Older is fine, as is slightly younger. But keep in mind that a 35+ year old is highly unlikely to be partying it up with an 18 year old.

Appearance: Hooo boy. We’ve arrived at appearance, one of the most abused categories, but also one of the most potentially creative. Since this is a purely non-canon and original RP, you’re free to give your character whatever physique, wardrobe, hairstyle, or colors you want. But don’t tell us how irresistibly attractive your character is every other sentence. Everyone has flaws, and I mean everyone. Perfect people don’t exist, physically or mentally. Give your character something they dislike about themselves, whether it’s pale skin or a slightly larger-than-average nose. It’s more realistic that way.

Personality: This ties closely into appearance. As stated above, no one is flawless. Try to have a healthy balance of positive and negative aspects in your character’s personality. Sure, they can be as courteous and polite as can be, but why not give them a bad habit, such as nail biting, or a bad aspect of their personality, such as excessive anxiety or a short fuse? It makes for a more interesting and diverse character.

History: Yes, we understand that tragedies happen. But don’t make your history a sobfest and have everyone close to you die prematurely. That’s just a bit too depressing. People have families, and I don’t recommend leaving them out of your history. For one, it’s extremely difficult to grow up by yourself. One or two deaths are fine, but don’t overdo it. Also, no rapes or molestations, alright? That’s just plain disgusting, and we don’t need to see that in a history or anywhere in general. Don’t make everything too traumatic either. Trust me, there will be plenty of bloody instances in this RP. It’s just how life is, especially in a premise like this. Otherwise, you’re free to make your character’s history uniquely your own, but keep it reasonable. Tell us where your character is from and whatnot. If they’re not from the Chicago area, explain why they moved there.

Sample RP: This one seems to baffle and perplex people the most. A sample roleplay is just a way of us getting a feel for your roleplaying style. It does not have to be lengthy and verbose, but don’t make it a few sentences either. Try to include at least 200 words, which is the posting minimum for this site. It can be any scenario, but stay in-character. Also, please use proper grammar and punctuation. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve had to attempt to decipher text speak posts. Not only does it look sloppy and unattractive; it also makes you looks pretty damn uneducated. If you can’t spell a certain word, either look it up or don’t use it. Simple as that.

If you’ve adhered to all of these guidelines and suggestions, congratulations! You’ll most likely be accepted on this site, and you’ll be able to RP as you see fit.

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:07 am